Metal roofing and cladding systems and their associated components contribute significantly to the sustainable design concept thanks to their high recycled content, recyclability and energy efficiency.
MCRMA members can offer total sustainable building solutions thanks to a range of complementary components which include flexible solar PV fastening systems; sustainable high performance insulation products, for example the use of recycled glass in glass wool insulation and stone mineral wool sourced from naturally replenishing rock; and daylight options to maximise the transmission of natural light into buildings.
Metal has many attributes which makes it the material of choice for both new and refurbishment construction:
- Energy efficiency
- Low maintenance
- Striking beauty, clean appearance and versatility
- Choice of steel or aluminium substrate which can be linked with a range of colours, shapes, panel sizes, finishes, profiles and vertical and horizontal applications.
Metal has much to offer in the areas of green technology and sustainability, for example
- Green roofing systems that can improve the thermal performance of a building by providing protection against heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer.
- Metal solar cladding systems that enable buildings to generate their own electricity or deliver naturally warmed fresh air into the building. MCRMA members have developed functional coated steel products based on renewable energy for use in the roofs and walls of buildings.
- Innovative cool roof coatings for metal roofs are now available which have moderate to highly reflective surfaces over a range of colours and some engineered coatings can increase the emissivity of the metal roof surface to allow solar energy and heat to dissipate quickly.
Detailed information is available from individual member companies and impartial advice can be obtained from any of the independent roofing and cladding inspectors group featured on the MCRMA web site.